Stage Models

by Chrismon Nofsinger on March 28, 2009

Stage models are all around us:

stages of childhood,
stages of leadership,
stages of grief,
stages of a career,
stages of retirement,
stages of marriage,
stages of teams,
stages of organizations,
stages of spiritual growth,
even stages of falling in love.

Stage models provide roadmaps that lead us to a better understanding of our environment, ourselves, and others. Many authors, researchers and thinkers use the stage framework to explain and organize their ideas. Additionally, all of us naturally build and use stage models everyday, often attributing our own and others’ behavior to a “stage.”

Our forthcoming book STAGE INTELLIGENCE: Secrets of Happiness and Success is aimed at helping readers achieve a higher level of skill in understanding, identifying, and using stage models. We call this set of skills Stage Intelligence or SI. A higher level of SI helps increases insight and effectiveness across a broad spectrum of life’s opportunities and challenges.

Please take a moment to join the email list and add a comment. Thank you in advance for your support. We will be adding much more to our site in the near future. Stay Tuned!

Chrismon

Chrismon Nofsinger, Ph.D.
CEO
Nofsinger Group
cnofsinger@nofsingergroup.com
www.nofsingergroup.com

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Echo Garrett 03.30.09 at 7:49 am

I’ve been amazed at how much I use stage models in my everyday life. I’d never really thought about it until Chrismon and I began working on this fascinating book project. The possibilities are mind blowing.

Chrismon Nofsinger 04.08.09 at 9:59 am

When we get stuck in a stage we enter a frustration zone that can lead us to feel hopeless — seeing that you may be using tools that are stage appropriate can provide the hope and insight to help you find success.

BillH 04.08.09 at 10:09 am

REALLY looking forward to getting this book in my hands. Stages, I’m discovering, can be applied to every facet of life!

Kevin Garrett 04.08.09 at 10:09 am

As a photographer I’m in a field where almost everyone owns a camera and feels like they can do what you do. The thought that I must constantly be mindful and intentional about moving to the next level in my profession resonates with me. The difference between being in the Top 2% of my field and all the rest resides in how well I use the stage lens.

Rena Nofsinger 04.08.09 at 3:03 pm

In choosing to leave the traditional work world to stay home to support my children I had never imagined the challenge I was embarking. At times I have been confused with my own stage as well as my children’s. The idea of understanding stages and to be thoughtful and intentional within each is empowering. I am excited to learn more!

Dan Dahl 04.08.09 at 3:49 pm

Congratulations on this exciting new stage of your exploration. I look forward to reading the book.

Margie Goldsmith 04.08.09 at 4:13 pm

I guess I’m in the “impatient” stage, because I can’t wait till the book comes out. I’m am trying to learn the “patient stage” while waiting.

Michelle Ward 04.09.09 at 12:03 pm

Like many, I have heard of going through different stages in life. I learned the value of stages when I was pregnant with my twins. Each stage of pregnancy brought a new challenge and a new expectation. It is provocative to understand that stage models affect our personal as well as our business lives. I look forward to the forthcoming book in order to gain insight on how I can take advantage of each stage in my life!

Chrismon Nofsinger 04.10.09 at 3:03 pm

Michelle,
Wow twin’s — that is a life experience that packs a double punch of stage intelligence!
Some of the best and earliest stage models about kids were formed by a guy named Piaget http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/piaget.shtml who built his stage ideas by watching the different thinking abilities of his own children. His stage model has helped millions of moms, dads and educators appreciate stage appropriate ways of teaching, communicating and parenting. While, many folks have been exposed to Piaget’s stage model, about how kids think at different ages, the simple magnitude of frustrated and bewildered parents speaks directly to why I think I bit more stage intelligence might be useful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Michelle.
Onward Chrismon

Kevin Garrett 04.16.09 at 7:19 am

I love to gain understanding that can clear confusion and accelerate growth in my personal life and in business. I look forward to reading, learning, growing.

Aaron Schleicher 04.16.09 at 9:15 am

It’s amazing to see how quickly your ideas have taken shape, and the life you’ve given them. I can’t wait to see the next stages Chrismon! Keep em coming.

Howard Chilcott 04.17.09 at 9:48 am

I’m very excited to have found this website and can’t wait for the book! As a youth soccer coach, the challenge is always assessing young atheletes/teams and designing practices plans that are accessible and appropriate to their stage of development. The goal is to provide the NEXT piece of understanding as soon as they are ready. If we’re too early, players become confused. If we’re too late, we now have to correct bad habits that have been developing. The concept of Stage Intelligence sounds like a perfect fit in helping coaches understand who their players and teams are and providing insight into the best way to move them forward. I’m going to be watching for the release date of this book. I will also be sharing this news with my Club and our Coaches!

Howard Chilcott
VP of Coaches
West Seattle Soccer Club

Jeff Thomas 04.17.09 at 9:52 am

I hope your book is near the completion stage! As someone who has worked with Chrismon over a decade, I can attest to the fact that he will bring great insight to this underappreciated analytical lens. So many analytical tools are backward-looking; this tool forces you to look forward and anticipate.

Lois Cole 04.17.09 at 10:18 am

Yes, WOW, the website looks great and the descriptions of the book are eyecatching and fun. ” I ask myself what stage am I in now? Ho ho, you tell me!
The idea that unique skills are needed for each stage, at least encourages us to open up to the ideas and expertise of others who have gone before us. Humility is called for. I need your book for more info.

Stewart Donaldson 04.19.09 at 9:54 pm

This book promises to make years of sound scientific research practical, and accessible to a wide audience. Stage theories are abundant and will finally be made widely available for people to understand and improve many aspects of their lives. I can’t wait to read further and learn how to better improve my work and personal life. I’m confident this book will also become a valuable resource for graduate students in psychology and business. Write baby write!